Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Emergency Room Visit #2

By the way, these posts are not going to be in chronological order. Because I am not that organized. I'm just not.

So anyway, this particular visit to the hospital was the result of a slight injury on a camping trip.

This was after my parents had divorced so I was probably around 9 or 10, and my dad had taken us camping. It was the last day of our trip and we were packing up. And by we I mean my dad was packing, I was sitting on the ground watching him pack.

I leaned back on my arms and felt a prick on my finger, I spun around and saw this hanging from my middle finger...

That, my friends, is a baby copperhead. Note that it is not as big as it looks, that is an ant next to its head. See how his tail is yellowish-green? That means he is a baby. Unfortunately babies are just as poisonous. In my recollection, which is always 100% accurate he was about 6-8 inches long. Oh, and that's not the one that bit me, that one didn't make it.

"Daddy! That worm just bit me!" I yelled as i shook the snake off my hand.

He came running over and figured out very quickly that it was NOT a worm, and bashed it with a rock ( I don't condone or agree with the killing of animals just because they can be dangerous, but I can understand his reaction here.)

He grabbed me and put me in the van, and yelled to a friend to get my brother and sister. Meanwhile, I had absolutely no idea why he was so upset about the biting worm, and was waving goodbye to the crowd who had gathered. I was quite the celebrity!

AND, for the first time in my life I was in a vehicle moving fast, really fast.

We got to the hospital and I was promptly treated, that's the good thing about snakebite victims, they don't have to wait as long in the waiting room.

The doctor slit my finger open at the bite (which was tiny) and poured something into it, they were pretty sure I had shaken the snake off before much, if any, venom had gotten into my finger, so it was a quick and easy procedure.

When we had left and were headed back to my Mom's house, as we drove down the lane my dad told us not to tell our Mom until he got a chance to explain it to her.

So, we pulled up, opened the van door, and my brother (who was about 4) ran into the house screaming "Bekah got bit by a snake! Bekah got bit by a snake!"

Gosh, kids are good at secret-keeping!

2 comments:

  1. OMG - this story freaks me out. Glad poisonous snakes are one thing we don't have to deal with up here in Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was a close call! Good thing your dad was quick-witted about it and got you to the hospital right away. Good story!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...