I have realized that I have a habit of only posting pictures of our house if I have gotten it to a point that I like, and then not sharing the areas that are lack-luster. But my thought is that I bet you probably have a space or two in your house that you don't love...and for the sake of full-disclosure - I will show you mine. Consider this a before - it's just that the 'after' is still in progress.
Our bedroom. You guys. This room. Ugh. There is a good reason that I haven't shown it to you, and that reason called avoidance. It is a space that is hard to love. The ceilings are low. LOW. Like so low that Matt bumps his head on the light. The window is off center - and starts right around knee level so that if you stand in front of it to look out, your face is actually level with the wall.
It's just so...meh. This is a picture from our original move in house tour...
BUT ANYWAY - We originally planned for this to be Luke's room, so we painted it a greenish/tan color called 'river reed'. After living here for about a week though, it was clear that this wasn't working for Luke's room. Mainly because the door doesn't close, and how can one put a baby to bed without closing the door?
So we switched his room with our room, which was good for him (walk in closet in there), but meh for us. We plopped our bed down, and put on the same linens we have had for the last four years.
Ugh. It's ok. You can say it. It's not good. It looks like a retirement home - and not a nice one at that. Also - I didn't even have the gumption to clean off the bed or get my real camera for this picture. So yeah...Matt's shirt is on the bed, iPhone quality picture, baby on the left pulling things off the nightstand = normal.
I have had enough of it though. It can't stay this way. Matt and I have differing opinions here, he says that it is no big deal that we don't like it, because it is the last place we go at night, and then it is dark anyway, which is totally true BUT - and this is my argument - this is the ONLY place that is only for Matt and for me. Our boys have free reign of any room but this one, and I want so badly for it to be place that we like.
I can't make the ceilings higher, and I can't change the weird off-center window, but I think that with some creative thinking I can at least make it a space that we like...
So there you have it! That is the honest truth about the state of things in our bedroom (get your mind out of the gutter!).
Here are the things I want to tackle in here:
- bring in some romance
- draw attention away from the low ceilings
- paint all the trim (you can't see it in these pictures, but the trim is all just unfinished wood at this point)
- infuse our space with more of our personality. Anyone could live in that room pictured above. In fact, if you look at our house tour of rooms we have made some progress in - our bedroom doesn't look like it fits in AT ALL.
- guitar storage? Where does one put guitars? We can't put them in the basement (moisture) and both the large closet and the attic are both only accessed through Luke's room, and since Matt typically plays at night, he needs to be able to get to the guitars without waking the baby!
- find new bedding that we both like (we still love our white quilt, but after two babies and a dog, it is starting to be not quite so white)
- pop in a rug. It doesn't have to be anything special, but the brown carpet is kind of a downer. Sometime I will have to take a picture of the spot where someone previously spilled a gallon of evergreen paint. It's pretty spectacular.
So - Okay. I have shown you my crappy space, what is yours? What space are you least excited about right now, and how would you change it?