I have gotten a lot of questions about our move - both online and in person, so I thought I would share a bit more about the motivation behind the move.
1. Where are you moving? We are moving a little farther south. Not exceptionally far - but down closer to where we used to live. It is where we had really established our lives - and frankly, we really really miss that. We miss our church, we miss our friends, and the boys miss their friends too.
2. Why? We were going to move out of this house (the farmhouse) at the earliest possible date anyway. It is not a good place for us. Sure, we have made some nice changes, but in the long run this place is bad for us. I didn't blog about it, because frankly it just really upset me - but in December we noticed that Jacks front teeth looked a little funny. The just looked darker than normal, and after talking to a few dental hygienist friends, we were thinking maybe he had damaged the pulp in his teeth in one of his many falls. We took him to a dentist, and it turns out - no...his teeth weren't damaged in a fall - they were stained from something in the water. Now...we asked the landlord on our first walkthrough how the water was here - and she told us it was perfectly fine. After we moved in, we found that it stained our clothes in the washing machine. But still...we always filtered our water through a Brita filter anyway - so we thought it was fine to drink. Turned out that was not the case - and our three year old now had stained teeth. I was so upset - I can't even explain it. Her response? "Well...you only have to deal with it for six more months"
Awesome. Needless to say - we buy all of our drinking water at the grocery store now...and we don't wash our light laundry here at all. Jack's teeth are looking much better since we stopped letting him have any water from the house - filtered or not.
That was our biggest beef with this place, but other issues are that the electricity is spotty, the heat does not work well (which she somehow blames us for?), and so on and so on...
3. A question I get frequently is 'do you regret putting all of that work into the house, only to leave?' and honestly? No. Not at all. The point of making this place feel and look like home has always been for the benefit of our family. So that my kids and husband have a nice place to relax, and a comfortable place to call home. And to take it to a spiritual level - God calls us to be good stewards of that which he has given to us. And for this period in time, whether we like it or not, God has given us this farmhouse to call home.
4. Where is Matt going to work? is another question that we get pretty frequently. Well..Matt is going to keep working where he is working. He has the opportunity to work from home a few days a week, and he says that he is fine with the longer commute in order to have our family where we feel it is the best place to raise our boys.
5. What about gymnastics? It cracks me up how often this question gets asked. For now - we are going to keep Jack in gymnastics up here. It is not an exceptionally long drive, and it will ensure that the boys get to see Matt's parents frequently. A huge benefit of living up here has been building a closer relationship for the boys (and me to be honest) with Matt's parents. They are wonderful grandparents, and I am more than happy to make the drive once a week to make sure that the boys get to spend time with them (the gymnastics class is sort of a bonus thing for us to do up here in this case). As Jack gets older - we will see if he even wants to keep doing gymnastics, but as of right now he loves it.
Those are some of the most frequently asked questions, at least regarding the motivation behind the move. So hopefully my answers have helped clear up a few questions. If you have any more - feel free to ask them!